Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Yes Virginia, you CAN spin laceweight on a travel wheel

My Louet Victoria travel wheel arrived this past weekend and after a quick trial spin of a bunch of not particularly cooperative Wensleydale, I decided to really put her to the test...laceweight. Could this tiny wheel do it without excessive effort on my part?

In a word...yes. I threw her on the highest ratio (1:13) and grabbed a bunch of Optim merino roving (Pearl colorway) and easy-peasy, I was spinning thread.

I did a little bit of sample plying and the result was equivalent to Jaggerspun merino laceweight which is a hair finer than their Zephyr...so I'm very pleased. Is it going to take a while to get 2 bobbins' worth of singles done? Yes, and it's going to take a while to ply it, but I'm very happy with the results so far.

Is this easier on my Rose? Yes...it would be a little faster and a little less treadling, but I'm very impressed with this tiny wheel.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Harlem Purl said...

I have a Victoria too and she is a mighty little wheel. Let me just say how jealous I am of your Rose. How come you don't come to any of my spinning meetups? I don't like to miss an opportunity to talk fiber with someone who's just as crazy about it as I am.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Lamzie Divy Woolens said...

My traveling wheel is the Majacraft Little Gem. It also is a great wheel.
Welcome to the world of sock machines. They are like potato chips, you can't have just one. Enjoy making socks! I have 6 machines all different, you can see some of them on my blog. www.lamziedivywoolens.blogspot.com/ I moderate sockknittingmachinefriends on Yahoo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home