Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Bits and Pieces, Cast-on-itis and Knitting ADD

I know, I know...been ages since I updated...

I haven't made substantial progress on anything despite lots of knitting simply because I can't make up my mind what I should or really want to be working on. Guess it's that time of year.

So...I knit a few more dishcloths (3 went to Mom for Mother's Day)...kept a Garterlac for myself...

Started in on the Socks that Rock April Grasshopper kit...but after finishing one sock, decided I didn't like how they fit me so will be frogging it and making some other type of sock with the yummy stuff...

Been making progress on another border scarf from Victorian Lace Today in some yummy Seasilk (Spring Lilacs):

And a Leaf Lace mini-shawl (guess that makes it a scarf too?) in Mini Maiden (Rose Garden):

And for something more substantial (and I want to have it done in time for Marcia's BBQ in July) I started (and am about 75% done with the front) the Pacific Grove Pullover from Just One More Row patterns in Elann.com's Pasticcio:

I've put all wool socks aside for the moment since my feet are screaming for nice light cottony/summery socks and at least on THAT front I'm making progress...finished the first and 2/3 done with the second of a pair of Quill Lace socks in Crystal Palace Panda Cotton (Blueberries-Grapes) which is a yummy, springy (but not too stretchy so it's easy to knit) bamboo/cotton/elastic blend:

On the philosophical (kinda) front, it always puzzles me when I see knitters seemingly frozen with fear about something they've not tried before or is at all puzzling. I guess I learned to knit so young that it never occurred to me to be fearful of just trying something. No one dies if you mess up your knitting. 99% of yarns happily rip back to live to knit another day. Maybe I just don't overthink what I'm doing (which is ironic since I tend to overthink most things) and maybe that's one of the reasons I like knitting as much as I do...I don't overthink or overanalyze...I just do it. I've never been the sort to want to try anything daredevil like skydiving or bungee-jumping...perhaps knitting without a net fulfills whatever teeny urge I might have to be daring. Or maybe it just never occurred to me that any of it was hard thus to be feared. I only have one knitting nemesis, the short row heel in stockinette and I think, with Wendy's help, we've figured out why mine turn out like codpieces (seems I have tighter-than-typical row gauge in socks). Fortunately, short row heels are not at all required for successful sock knitting so it's not even a big deal.

So why are so many fearful with their knitting? Even some who are experienced knitters, who don't have to think twice about any of the basics? Is it just some mindset that they only get one shot at having it come out just right? I don't know. Is their best cashmere being held hostage if they drop a stitch? Favorite merino being threatened with submersion in piping hot water with agitation when they attempt to cut a steek?

Knitting never makes me feel smart or clever...it's not like I invented any of this stuff...the most creative I get is choosing yarn/colors and making certain alterations for fit. I didn't create the wheel, I didn't discover SSK or that combining YOs with decreases makes lacey fabric. I do get satisfaction when I try something that someone else has invented and it works and looks cool and I certainly feel a sense of being involved with history when I turn a heel the same way someone a few hundred years ago did.

But fear? Nope. I figure I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening then being killed by knitting...

A sweater knit in fear is a sweater half knit?

Ok...time for more Nyquil...

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger quantumtea said...

I like your philosophical note. I'm mostly a self-taught knitter and spinner (though I have gone skydiving!) and I like trying new things, even if it takes a few tries to get it right.

BTW, you might want to check out the Sherman heel, it's a really tidy short row heel and I use it on a lot of socks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home