Saturday, April 01, 2006

Falling onto the Clapotis Bandwagon

I had to do it...everyone's knitting Clapotises (Clapotii?)...

A Clapotis is a lovely bias-knit with nifty fun dropped stitches to create openwork...looks complicated, actually really really easy but not boring to knit...

Problem with the pattern as written is that the yarn it calls for is stratospherically expensive (Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb which you can get on ebay for about $26-$28/skein but retails for about $31/skein and you need 3-4 skeins of the stuff...). Fortunately, there are tons of alternatives that folks have tried. I decided to give my first Clapotis a whirl in Noro Silk Garden Lite #2015...yummy blend of 45% Silk, 45% Kid Mohair, 10% Lambswool and divine colorways...the drop stitches don't really want to drop so each has to be encouraged row by row to open up but otherwise, it goes quickly and feels great on the hands...using Addi Turbo circular US6 and ooh they're slick and of course, I've gone overboard and decided to knit one for way too many people in a fairly short time period...Mom's the only one getting one in Lion & Lamb but moms deserve $120 wraps...

Closeup of first few drops...will all look more civilized once blocked...

2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Bee-yooo-tee-ful! I have been thinking about making one, too. Really Nancy, that's freaky. I can't wait to see it finished.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

the colors are wild!! it will be great. I also have it high on my list, but can't decide on the yarn. I recently broke my "one project at a time" rule, and once the intial shock past- I can live with it.....
scary...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home