Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hazy shade of summer

Yes indeed summer is upon us. After a wonderfully mild and temperate spring, the moment Memorial Day came, the temperature went up. Ick.

And rain...raining like cats and dogs today (only don't tell my cats as they'll want to go and see...) so what better to do on a rainy day than spin...yea i know...I could clean house but what fun is that? Spinning and knitting are much more fun...The rust is a wool/alpaca blend...the roving comes as a soft red with streaks of brown, but blends to nearly solid when spun...the greenish one is a wool/mohair blend that started out as lime green, blue and russet...spins up very quickly and has a lovely haze after plying...

In case anyone was wonder, yes, I do have socks on the needles...Gryffindor socks to be exact...snagged some of Sunshine Yarn's hand-painted Gryffindor sock yarn and decided to finally try 2 socks on 2 circs...it's much slower and a bit clumsier, but they do match and it will avoid Second Sock Syndrome...my only dislike about these is that this yarn seems to be designed to work best with 72 stitch or fewer cast-on...these are 80 stitches on my size 1s getting 8 stitches/inch...next pair (managed 2 skeins of the stuff) I'll try with 72...oy.

7 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Your yarn looks fabulous! And I like the socks, happy to see you still knit them, hee hee!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. I can't get over how quickly you've progressed in your spinning! They all look so consistent. Did you *really* just learn to spin in June?!?
Cheers, velma

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Love the socks! I need some of those to go with my HP scarf!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Hello! I saw your comments over at Sit N knit about the Majacraft Rose and then came here to see the amazing yarn you are producing!!! I've been trying to decide on a wheel and just feel in love with the Majacraft Rose. Where did you learn? How would you recommend to learn?

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

Hey! One more question. Is there a place you'd reccomend ordering the Majacraft Rose from? I'm trying to keep cost down as much as I can. :)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Dame Wendy said...

You're a doll! Thank you!!!! :)

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger MollyKnits said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Gryffindor socks. Nice score on the HP yarn. It is hard to get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home