Sunday, July 23, 2006

Fearless

Well, a big box of yarny sorts of things arrived from Knitpicks on Friday so I had to pause the other projects and cast on my practice Fair Isle sweater...decided that Wendy's Fearless Fair Isle (but with blues instead of purples). Now, I know that fingering weight Peruvian wool (Knitpicks Palette) isn't Shetland wool, but it'll do for practice while I wait to get the real stuff for a fancier sweater...it's still fairly sticky wool so I'm not too worried (eek) about the steeks.

Despite checking twice, I made a classic mistake that I didn't discover until about 13 rows into the corrugated ribbing...I'd managed to twist the stitches on the circular so was knitting a moebius. I can't bear the idea of undoing that much of this ribbing (which I really don't mind knitting as I'm practicing the 1 color in each hand so one hand's throwing and the other hand's picking thing) so I added some steeks and it'll end up a cardigan. Probably better as a cardigan anyhow...


I'm gonna order Jamieson Shetland wool for a couple of sweaters from Ann Feitelson's Art of Fair Isle Knitting...it's amazing how inexpensive the stuff really is, especially compared to some of the pre-fab fair isle kits available...for the price of one Alice Starmore kit, I can get enough yarn for 3 sweaters...yeesh. But it's fun...and I'm working on (brace yourself) wooden needles...ebony to be specific...my nickel plates are just too slick for enough control for colorwork...wheeeee

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

practice makes perfect! looks pretty good to me already... nice color transitions.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful - love the colors. Can't wait to see more.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Holy crap Nancy! That is so cool!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Marina said...

I'm doing one of the Starmore kits and honestly, I prefer the Jamieson & Smith.

I like the colors you chose.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

sheesh, girl, you sure are prolific! i can barely manage a simple cable pattern, let alone the lace and colorwork you accomplish, + spinning, + blogging... where does everyone find the time? been enjoying your blog. thanks for visiting my site recently, too.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

That is looking so good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home