Saturday, February 24, 2007

Buttons and Borders oh my...

The blue Baby Surprise jacket is all done...buttons and all...

It blocked out a bit larger than it was knitting up (whew) because I was a bad girl when I frogged the original sweater and didn't reblock the yarn to straighten it (lazy LOL). But I like that it has retained the very homey look of the handspun yarn and washing/blocking has made it feel soft and cozy.

I started the border for the Cap Shawl last night as well. I don't know why I was approaching it with any fear or trepidation whatsoever (well, other than never having done a knitted-on border before). It was a bit fiddly to start but it's really very easy, and I'm glad I chose a circular shawl as my first lace piece with a knitted-on border as there will be no awkward angles or corners to navigate. It will, however, take a looong time to get around this thing. There are 738 stitchs around the outside and it's 2 rows of border for every 1 stitch...that's math I really don't want to do because thinking about 1400+ rows of border is a bit inertia-inducing. But at least it's an easy repeat to memorize and it does look rather nifty if I do say so myself. And yes folks, that's a DPN...Nancy now owns some DPNs. I got them solely for lacework...for that center start for square or circular shawls and for border work. Period.

2 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

The baby surprise sweater is really beautiful - love the colors. And wow - the shawl looks great! Very pretty!

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Sally Swappa said...

Great lace! You've done a beautiful job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home